Re: Export / import of a db

From: Matthias Hoys <idmwarpzone_NOSPAM__at_yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 31 May 2005 23:14:18 +0200

<DMina_at_laiki.com> wrote in message
> Hello people!
>
> I need to export our production Oracle database (8.1.7.4) on AIX (5.2)
> and import it into our preproduction environment. This is the statement
> I am planning to use for the export:
>
> exp user/password file=prod.dmp consistent=y full=y log=prod.log
>
> The issue is that the preproduction database has a different structure
> from the production database.
> In the preproduction database there are different tablespaces and more
> in number. How do I go about this?
> How should/can i proceed? What do i have to have in mind?
>
> Regards,
> Demetris

One remark : what's the point of having a preproduction environment if the db structure is different from that of production ? Doesn't seem logic to me. You could always take a full backup of your production db and restore all the datafiles to your preproduction server. We did that quite a few times to refresh our preproduction environment (it was even fully scheduled with cron). Make sure you restore to the right server though !!! Now we have more expensive tools to play with, EMC Symmetrixes with BCV volumes ;-) Received on Tue May 31 2005 - 16:14:18 CDT