Re: OMLET

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_psoug.org>
Date: Tue, 31 May 2005 13:46:12 -0700

Paul wrote:

>>>Nope. You want something more like Hamdullah (thanks be to God) rather
>>>than what you wrote which is "If God wishes" or "God willing". Though
>>>you could cover everything and say "Mektoub" (It is written).

>>The implications of what you wrote is that what happened was inevitable.
>>The implication of what I wrote is that he invited this into his life by
>>his own wilfull actions.

> I don't claim to be a classical Arabic scholar or anything (Most of my
> Arabic was learnt from listening to North Africans (Maghrebins) speak
> it. Inchallah is normally used referring to something that may happen
> in the future - i.e.
>
> "Hope it doesn't rain tomorrow lads"
> "Inchallah"
>
> It was a lovely day yesterday lads"
> "Hamdullah"
>

> Since you were referring to something which had already happened in
> the past, I think that your use of Arabic was incorrect. Maybe a
> native speaker can jump in correct me or you (or indeed, both of us)?
>

> Paul...

Here's is what I received: Unedited.

Now for your Arabic question. You are right, they do have roughly similar meanings overall.

The subtle difference in meaning makes them more useful in different situations. But the bottom line is, they all have to do with relying on God's (allah) help, will, power, judgement...etc. So, any of these phrases with Alla in it, would probably have roughly the same meaning.

Insha-alla is mainly used before some event takes place. Mostly in anticipation of a certain event and hoping to get God's 'push' on it to make it happen. This led some people to take the meaning to be more like "yeah, right - when hell freezes over", which is funny, but not the correct usage.

Il Hamdu-lilla has several different uses, mostly after the event takes place. Arabs use this one way too often. It literally means thanks to God, and they believe that only God deserves thanking for whatever they have. The list is endless but health and success are the big ones.

And now we are hopelessly off-topic so lets move on or correspond with me off-line.

HTH

--
Daniel A. Morgan
http://www.psoug.org