Re: open read only standby database

From: Mark Bole <makbo_at_pacbell.net>
Date: Tue, 31 May 2005 16:23:33 GMT

georgesdeoliveira94_at_yahoo.fr wrote:

> hello,
>
> i have a problem when a switch from a recover standby to open read
> only.
>
> if i made :
>
> SQL> conn sys/syspass as sysdba
> --> OK
> SQL> startup nomount
> pfile='D:\standby\product\admin\orcl\pfile\init.ora'
> --> OK
> SQL> ALTER DATABASE RECOVER MANAGED STANDBY DATABASE DISCONNECT;
> --> OK
> SQL> alter database recover managed standby database cancel;
> --> OK
> SQL> alter database open read only;
> --> OK
> SQL> ALTER DATABASE RECOVER MANAGED STANDBY DATABASE DISCONNECT;
> --> OK
> SQL> alter database recover managed standby database cancel;
> --> OK
> SQL> alter database open read only;
> --> ORA-01092: ORACLE instance terminated. Disconnection forced
>
> Why the 2nd time it fails ???

[...]
georgesdeoliveira94_at_yahoo.fr wrote:

> In all files .trc i have the same error : >
[...]

> is there a solution to have more traces, logs for this problem ???

Thank you for taking the time to examine the log files, as Sybrand suggested. It's unfortunate that they don't show any useful error message.

Looking at your sequence of events, my first question is, why are you trying to do this twice? As you yourself say, it only fails the second time.

I don't have time to test this myself right now, but here's my guess:

With user-managed recovery, once open, you must shutdown and then re-mount the standby database before trying to recover or open it again. So, put a shutdown and a startup nomount after your first 'alter ... open', and it should work.

The version 9i documentation does seem to indicate that you can resume Oracle-managed recovery directly from being open read-only, but I know that with user-managed recovery, it won't work, so I don't see how it could work under Oracle-managed recovery. The documentation also states that you must terminate all active sessions on the open-read-only database before re-starting managed recovery, so you're not losing anything, other than a few extra seconds, by doing a shutdown and startup nomount in between open statements.

-Mark Bole Received on Tue May 31 2005 - 11:23:33 CDT