Re: Database market share 2004

From: Larry <larry_at_nospam.net>
Date: Tue, 31 May 2005 09:23:52 -0400

Noons wrote:
> Jim Smith wrote:
>

>>You *can't* buy Oracle without the RAC option. Well you can, if you buy
>>Standard Edition One, but Standard Edition and Enterprise Edition both
>>include RAC. I don't know how much market share SEO[1] has, but you
>>could say that almost all Oracle licenses include RAC.

> Care to rephrase that? Ain't making much sense
> right now... :)
>
> If it was the case that one "couldn't buy Oracle without RAC",
> then why point out that "few users are buying Oracle without
> RAC for Linux"?

Microsoft used to do this with Microsoft Office, I believe. They used to package SQL Server with Microsoft Office (maybe they still do) and then whenever an Office license was sold, it automatically resulted in a SQL Server sales whether it was being used or not.

>>1: Probably negligible in the type of company Gartner is addressing.

> Ah, but they put NO qualifiers in their "addressing",
> do they? Therefore, others might conclude it's the
> "state of the overall market". When it isn't, by any stretch
> of the imagination.

Larry Received on Tue May 31 2005 - 08:23:52 CDT