Re: Multiple hosts - shared SAN - ASM ?

From: Billy <vslabs_at_onwe.co.za>
Date: 31 May 2005 06:16:40 -0700

josodijk2_at_gmail.com wrote:

> We're about to replace 20 Unix systems. New hardware includes a SAN.
> Upgrading to Oracle 10G (mostly 1, but 1 host might have 15 instances)
> is part of the project. None will have 'high performance' requirements.
> Database sizes are in the 10 - 50 GB range. Ease of admin (both at the
> DBA and at the SA level) is important.
>
> Is ASM a good thing in this environment?

Who cares!?

After all, the plan is to run 15 instances on one host.. which means 15 times the admin requirements on that host, 15 times the problems, 15 times TEMP/REDO/ARCHIVELOG/etc space requirements, 15 times the footprint of an Oracle instance ito DBWR, LOGWR, PMON, SMON and so on..

Come one.. ASM or not ASM does not matter at all in such environment. It is already shot to hell admin and performance wise.

--
Billy