Re: Huge undotbs during insert

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_psoug.org>
Date: Mon, 30 May 2005 14:36:22 -0700

tim.kearsley_at_milton-keynes.gov.uk wrote:

> DA Morgan wrote:
>

>>tim.kearsley_at_milton-keynes.gov.uk wrote:
>>

>>>The OP was talking about a SPECIFIC requirement.  If a command will do
>>>a one-off job who cares that it is de-supported?
>>
>>Do that on one of my projects ... and it will be your last day at work.
>>Say that in an interview and you will never see the front door from the
>>inside again.
>>
>>I certainly can not speak for others in IT management but I know more
>>than a few whose reaction would be the same.
>>--
>>Daniel A. Morgan
>>http://www.psoug.org
>>damorgan_at_x.washington.edu
>>(replace x with u to respond)

> Well since I won't ever be on one of your projects I can't say that
> bothers me really.
>
> In an interview I would have the opportunity to explain my rationale.
>
> As you didn't bother addressing the points in my reply we'll leave it
> there then. Quoting single lines of a reply out of the context of the
> post to try and make a point is a bit of a desperate measure. However
> it's not worth arguing over.
>
> Tim Kearsley
> HBS Milton Keynes

Last year, for 6 months, I had a contract with a division of a very large aerospace company that included interviewing and giving them the thumbs-up or thumbs-down on every candidate for architect, DBA, and developer on Oracle projects. The interview criteria were discussed among team members so this wasn't just me off on some wild ride at the county fair.

Your attitude is sooner or later going to put you at a table in front of someone like me ... and it is going to be a very short interview.

Everyone knows that the correct answer to "Do you like working as a member of a team" is "YES." Attitudes like yours, however, are easy to discover with a few good questions. And more and more people in IT management are learning to look for those who express the thoughts you have. And we don't hire them.