Re: Huge undotbs during insert

From: <tim.kearsley_at_milton-keynes.gov.uk>
Date: 29 May 2005 15:49:36 -0700

Sybrand Bakker wrote:
> On 29 May 2005 05:50:53 -0700, tim.kearsley_at_milton-keynes.gov.uk
> wrote:
>
> >Indeed it is. But so what? It works with the release the OP is using
> >and it may do the job he requires, so who cares really?
> >
> >Regards,
> >Tim Kearsley
> >HBS Milton Keynes
>
> It will prevent him to upgrade, wouldn't it?
> Apparently you don't care about upgrades.
> I care about upgrades.
>

> --
> Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA

And why would having a table that had been created by using a COPY command prevent the OP from upgrading? As far as I can see the table would be perfectly acceptable to an upgraded database.

Besides, "The SQLPLus User's Guide and Reference", release 10.1 still includes a large section on using COPY. To quote from that guide:

"The COPY command is likely to be made obsolete in a future release"

Note the word "future". Suggests that its still around in 10g?

However, that's irrelevant anyway in this example. The OP could use the command to do what may well be a one-off job and save himself some difficulties elsewhere. His database once the job is done is in no way rendered unsuitable for upgrading. What PRACTICAL problem does that cause? If he wants to do the same job again in a future release when the command isn't available then he'll do it some other way.

Think you missed the point entirely.

Tim Kearsley
HBS Milton Keynes Received on Sun May 29 2005 - 17:49:36 CDT