Re: Primary Key Constraints vs just indexes

From: Mark Bole <makbo_at_pacbell.net>
Date: Sat, 28 May 2005 02:02:12 GMT

IANAL_VISTA wrote:

> Iain William Wiseman <bibble_at_paradise.net.nz> wrote in
>

>>Hi All,
>>
>>Our goal is to increase performance. We have data on one platform which
>>is replicated to a second using custom software.
>>
>>We know the data on master is always correct as there is referential
>>constraints on the Master copy. I.E. Foreign and Primary Key constraints.
>>
>> My question is, given the integrity in gauranteed is it better to just
>> have indexes on the second platform without the foreign/primary key
>> constaints.

[...]
> It depends upon what performance to which you refer.
> [...]

If your replication process was performed using Data Guard Logical Standby, rather than a custom process, you would benefit by default from constraints (and triggers) not being executed on the standby (replicated) database.

The fact that this is the default behavior might indicate that Oracle Corp. thought along the same lines as you did, but of course I couldn't guarantee that.

-Mark Bole Received on Fri May 27 2005 - 21:02:12 CDT