Re: INSERT or MULTI INSERT

From: <tim.kearsley_at_milton-keynes.gov.uk>
Date: 27 May 2005 01:23:52 -0700

DA Morgan wrote:

< SNIP >

> TO_CHAR(dynamo.ORDER_SEQ.nextval).
>
> How do you expect to concatenate a string to a number.
>
> For any further help post Oracle version and the error messages.
> We are unable to look over your shoulder or read your mind.
> --
> Daniel A. Morgan
> Relational theory is not something that is simply a nice-to-have.
> http://www.psoug.org
> damorgan_at_x.washington.edu
> (replace x with u to respond)

Daniel, please make sure of your facts before posting.

Oracle will handle concatenating a number with a string without any problem:

Connected to:
Oracle9i Enterprise Edition Release 9.2.0.4.0 - 64bit Production With the Partitioning, OLAP and Oracle Data Mining options JServer Release 9.2.0.4.0 - Production

SQL> create sequence tkseq;

Sequence created.

SQL> select tkseq.nextval from dual;

   NEXTVAL

         1

SQL> /    NEXTVAL

         2

SQL> select 'XXXX'||tkseq.nextval from dual;

'XXXX'||TKSEQ.NEXTVAL

XXXX3 As I mentioned to you in a previous post on another topic a week or two ago, (and incidentally you never did acknowledge that you were incorrect on that occasion) it does nobody any good to post "facts" that are clearly incorrect and that you clearly haven't tested yourself. It only reduces your own credibility.

Regards,

Tim Kearsley
HBS Milton Keynes Received on Fri May 27 2005 - 03:23:52 CDT