Re: need to upgrade from 9.2.0.4 to 9.2.0.5

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Thu, 26 May 2005 23:14:34 +0200

On 26 May 2005 13:10:19 -0700, "Adam Sandler" <corn29_at_excite.com> wrote:

>Maybe I wasn't clear in my first post... is going from one version to
>another in Oracle accomplished by loading the first patch of the next
>version?
>
>In MS Windows for example, when one upgrades from version to version,
>there is an executable, which is independent of bug fixes, one runs to
>go from SP1 to SP2.
>
>With Oracle I find no such beast. On metalink I see a table of patches
>and it lists the last update for 9.2.0.4 underneath the update for
>9.2.0.5. So if I download 4195791, and run it, is that the same as a
>version upgrade to 9.2.0.5?

It is now established once and for all: people exposed to Mickeysoft loose the ability to respond to an Usenet message properly, and, even worse, the ability to read.
Contrary to what you believe, there is no such thing as a 'first patch of a next version', and all upgrades have been labeled appropiately on Metalink. Also, all upgrades are cumulative. Contrary to what you think, every service pack of Mickeysoft, completely consists of bugfixes, like the upgrades of Oracle. If you would have read the appropiate readme (which you can do without downloading the actual sw), you would have known that.

I agree with Daniel, it is useless to upgrade to 9.2.0.5 when 9.2.0.6 is available.

--
Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA