Re: Killed session not terminating?

From: Jeremy <newspostings_at_hazelweb.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 26 May 2005 16:36:04 +0100

In article <1117094950.130452.240190_at_f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com>, says...

> Regarding the client receiving the "session killed" message, I don't
> believe this occurs until the client next attempts to do something. So
> if the client is idle then a row remains in V$SESSION with a status of
> "KILLED", as you observe. Its only when the client next attempts some
> action that it receives the "your session has been killed" message
> (ORA-00028 I think).

My experience is that as soon as the session is killed in Oracle (either via OEM or e.g. a kill -9) then sqlplus immediately responds.

> As far as the locks being held then maybe PMON is unable to tidy up
> properly? It might be worth seeing if there are any trace files
> produced by PMON indicating a problem.

Well... found the problem (application / data issue) but just for good measure I will document it here.

We have a pl/sql proc (1)

Owing to a data error (or should I say something was null and it was not catered for) the call that got made to the executable (4) was malformed and it appears that this resulted in a "hang" and this was all outside of Oracle. As far as Oracle is concerned, it is awaiting a response from the shell script (3) which it never receives...

I don't know if this makes sense or helps anyone but I thought it might be worth documenting my experience here (not least so that when something similar recurs and I head straight for google I'll be able to find this!!).

cheers to all who offered suggestions

--

jeremy