Killed session not terminating?

From: Jeremy <newspostings_at_hazelweb.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 26 May 2005 08:51:39 +0100

Hi folks, can anoyone help with this question?

Platform is oracle 9iR2 on Solaris 9 with a XP Pro client running 9iR2 client software.

On the client (sqlplus) I started execution of a PL/SQL packaged procedure. Now for some reason this is not completing - i don't know if it is looping 9don't think so) or some other factor is preventing it from completing.

Anyway, having observed that this had "hung" I used OEM to kill the server session (yes I know I should simply kill the client session but there are other reasons for taking this approach in this case, which, if you're interested, I will go into later).

The session shows in OEM as "KILLED" but still holds a number of locks and won't go away. Also I would expect a disconnect of the client to be forced with a message such as "your session has been killed" (cannot remember the precise wording but I am sure you know the sqlplus message I refer to) plus an ORA-3114 not connected to oracle. But the client reports nothing and appears to be unaware that the server proces is killed.

So if the client has not had its server session killed (which I assume is in fact the case), what could cause this - OEM still shows the session but with status KILLED.

Appreciate any hints as this is rather perplexing!

--

jeremy