Re: Oracle Error Messages

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_psoug.org>
Date: Wed, 25 May 2005 16:24:26 -0700

Matthias Hoys wrote:

> "+1 Software Engineering" <plus1spamacct_at_hotmail.com> wrote in message
>

>>I have a question. Is there a cool web site that documents Oracle
>>error messages with details showing you the top 5 reasons why such an
>>error normally occurs along with the actions one could take to resolve
>>the error?
>>
>>I know about oerr and have all the Oracle error messages manuals. But
>>these only provide you with a very terse Cause and Action verbage.
>>Usually the cause and action are only one sentence long each. I also
>>have access to Metalink, which is a great asset.
>>
>>But what I'm looking for is a web site where I type in the Oracle error
>>message, e.g., ORA-24315, click a button, and then I see the top five
>>causes that most likely would generate the error message. I'd like
>>some details here too, when appropriate, so I can fully understand
>>cause for the error message.
>>
>>Now that I have a good understanding of the error message, the next
>>thing I desire is to know what actions I can take as a DBA to correct
>>the problem with details and sample commands to run. If there's more
>>than one action a DBA can take, I'd like to see them explained too.
>>
>>Wouldn't this be nice!
>>
>>Thanks in advance!
>>
>>John D.
>>+1 Software Engineering
>>http://www.plus-one.com
>>

> http://www.ora-code.com/
>
> ORA-24315 doesn't exist ;-)
>

> HTH
> Matthias

Bad choice of sources for your statement: Try metalink:

	Subject 	Doc ID 	Modified Date 	Product 	Platform 	Type
1. 	ORA-24315 when connecting with Corvu Query Tool
2. 	ORA-24315 after 'password' command failed in SQLPLUS in Oracle 4.
OERR: ORA-24315 illegal attribute type
OERR: ORA-24315 illegal attribute type
6. Cannot connect after exceeding idle time. RDBMS Version: 8.1.6.1.0Operating System and Version: Linux 6.1.2Error Number (if applicable): ORA-24315Product (i.e. SQL*Loader
7. 	Reg. ORA-24315 illegal attribute type
9. 	ORA_24315: illegal attribute type while trying to free
10. 	How to update OCI_ATTR_ENV_CHARSET_ID ?
errhp)); Gets error : ORA-24315: illegal attribute type.
11. 	Re : Expired password causes ORA-24315, AIX 8.0.5 in SQL*Plus
13. 	error 27123, ORA-12203
14. 	Re : ORA-24315: illegal attribute type when connecting after

You get the point ... there are 23 entries on a simple search.

--
Daniel A. Morgan
Relational theory is not something that is simply a nice-to-have.