Re: Oracle 10g & tablespaces

From: Matthias Hoys <idmwarpzone_NOSPAM__at_yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 25 May 2005 20:20:12 +0200

"Frank van Bortel" <frank.van.bortel_at_gmail.com> wrote in message news:d71tmt$nr8$1_at_news1.zwoll1.ov.home.nl...
> Matthias Hoys wrote:
>> - downtime : we can do it in a week-end
> So, imp/exp is feasible?
> Makes you getting rid of all 8i stuff, start with
> a clean install. Watch out for SYS grants - not exported!
>
>> - no SAP
>> - space issues : we currently have a lot of fragmentation because of the
>> large differences between extent sizes
>
> No you don't: you did not have more than 1000 extents.

I meant that there are a lot of "holes" in our tablespace map because of the large differences between the initial/next extent size of all the objects. I don't know if we will see a performance gain after the migration but we will definitely win diskspace (30-40%) by "compacting" the data.

>> - total size of full export dump for largest db is around 50GB
> Now, it's multiple databases?

Multiple db's, but migration will be spread over several months ...