Re: Access MS SQL Server tables from Oracle 9i

From: <qnxodba_at_gmail.com>
Date: 24 May 2005 22:00:17 -0700

It is possible. But, very hard to do for free. It took me weeks to assemble all the pieces and it was not worth the result, in my opinion. I would never do it again. But, you don't know me... so go ahead and try. Good luck.

Answering your questions..
Has anybody... GC .. before? yes
Free/open source ... Solaris 8? yes
Could I use ... driver manager? I don't remember. Either, we used the free stuff that came with Solaris (could have been unixODBC) or we found a sybase driver manager for Solaris that was free for us.

What I do remember was getting some excellent support from an ODBC vendor. After they explained the free way to us, we set up our GC prototype using a trial version of their non-free software. But, even using the trial software was painful and we learned our lesson about GC on Solaris.

You might also ask...(my opinions)
Is GC stable for adhoc queries? no, because 'generic' does not cover many syntax differences.
Does GC require db bounce to add additional links? yes, additionally you have to flush sessions and links to keep the db alive. Can you find ETL tools, or even perl, to move the data instead? yes, you get what you pay for when use use GC for free.

You get the idea...

Best wishes.

Mike Received on Wed May 25 2005 - 00:00:17 CDT