Re: Question: Normal index structure/size under 9i

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Wed, 25 May 2005 06:54:41 +0200

On 24 May 2005 15:59:43 -0700, "DW" <dwhittier_at_shaw.ca> wrote:

>Greetings:
>
>Basic architectural question here:
>
>I have a normal index against 4 columns of a 18.8M row table. The types
>of the 4 indexed columns are 3x NUMBER(10) and a DATE.
>
>By my math, with a DATE being max 7 bytes, this adds up to 37 bytes of
>indexed data per row.

Incorrect. Numbers store two digits per byte and have a length byte. A date is *always* 7 bytes not *max*.

You also need to take into account pct free (default 10 percent) and room for transaction space (IIRC 23 bytes). For a 2k block, the max number of bytes that can be used is 1889.

--
Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA