Re: Oracle database statistics... Remedy doesn't seem to like them very much

From: Noons <wizofoz2k_at_yahoo.com.au>
Date: 24 May 2005 19:42:19 -0700

David Sanabria wrote:

> This table is a particularly good example of a one that needs to be
> reorganized and have its indexes rebuilt. The reason I was working on
> this table was because I received a request to schedule an index rebuild
> on this table once each week to compensate for a high turnover rate
> (add/delete). I hoped that starting with the stats would give a nice
> bump without having to contention issues while rebuilding the indexes.
>
> Do you have any insights or perspective on this issue?
>
> FYI: Oracle => 8.1.7
> Oracle CBO mode => Choose
> Remedy => BMC Action Request System 5.1.2

Do a search in google here for "rebuild indexes" and read. The results will be surprising. One thing: make sure you are patched up to the latest level of 8.1.7, the earlier point releases had all sorts of bugs in the CBO that caused a lot of weird problems. And move to LMT as soon as possible if not already there. You may also have to fiddle with the optimizer_* parameters: the above search will provide some good reading material on this. Received on Tue May 24 2005 - 21:42:19 CDT