Re: is there a way of using a Single processor Oracle License on Multi CPU Box

From: Mark Bole <makbo_at_pacbell.net>
Date: Wed, 25 May 2005 00:06:33 GMT

Dave wrote:

> "jiggaman" <jiggamanrocks_at_yahoo.com> wrote in message
>

>>we have a single cpu Oracle 8i EE license. We need to migrate the
>>database to a new box which has 4 cpu's. Is there a way to limit the
>>usage of oracle 1 cpu so that we are not in violation of our license.
>>Any help or pointers on this issue will be very helpful.
>>
>>thanx in advance
>>
>>Jiggaman
>>

> nope, you have to disable / remove the cpu's

Since you didn't include platform hardware information, it's difficult to give a good answer. What little information there is on Oracle's site, says that "hard" CPU partitioning meets the licensing requirements, while "soft" does not. (for example, simply off-lining a processor on a Solaris box using "psradmin" does not reduce the licensing requirement).

You almost certainly can't keep all four CPU's on-line and claim that somehow only one of them is doing Oracle work.

Let your sales rep be your guide...

-Mark Bole Received on Tue May 24 2005 - 19:06:33 CDT