Re: Install Oracle 9i DB rel 2 and 9iDs rel 2 on a single Win XP Home PC

From: Frank van Bortel <frank.van.bortel_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 24 May 2005 20:55:26 +0200

Maz wrote:
> I have successfully installed 9i DB and would like to install the
> developer tools so as I can develop my skills and hopefully take the
> exams! However, when I install the tools (in a different home
> directory) the installer asks me to set up my directory service.
>
> As i do not have active directory I select oracle internet directory.
> It then asks me for the Host name. I assumed this was the name of my
> computer but when i enter this and select ok it states it could not
> connect.
>
> How do i set this up and where can i find the information i need? I am
> a network novice and do not have a clue about setting up the
> tnsnames.ora files. Any help would be appreciated.

Why have you chosen to install Internet Directory? What purpose does the LDAP server have for you?
Tnsnames would be another method of naming, usually found simpler and easier to set up.
I've just put up some ramblings on the Internet - see http://vanbortel.blogspot.com/2005/05/enterprise-security-ii-finishing.html but I would strongly suggest you leave OID for what it is, and go for the non-listener config as described

--
Regards,
Frank van Bortel