Oracle 10g & tablespaces

From: Matthias Hoys <idmwarpzone_NOSPAM__at_yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 24 May 2005 20:34:29 +0200

Hi,

We are planning the migration of some Oracle 8i databases to Oracle 10g (both on AIX 5.2).
For most databases, we currently have only 2 DM tablespaces for user data : one for table data and one for indexes. Maximum table size is around 10GB, there are no objects with more than 1000 extents. What would be the "best practice" for migration of those tablespaces to Oracle 10g ? Use separate LM tablespaces for small, medium and big objects with uniform extent sizing ? Or use only 1 LM tablespace with automatic extent sizing ? And what would be the best way to load the data into the new database ? Exp/imp ? Data pump ? Transportable tablespaces ? Can we change the name of the tablespaces during the import ?

Thanks in advance,
Matthias Received on Tue May 24 2005 - 13:34:29 CDT