Re: MSSQL Table Variable Equivalent?

From: Noons <wizofoz2k_at_yahoo.com.au>
Date: Wed, 25 May 2005 00:35:51 +1000

LineVoltageHalogen apparently said,on my timestamp of 24/05/2005 11:24 PM:

> the string and then sort the arguments alphabetically. Once this
> sorting is done (it happens instantaneously)

I'll bet you it doesn't. May be very fast, but definitely not instantaneously...

> (300 characters at most in the string as a whole). This process has to
> happen and it cannot add any significant overhead to the process of
> calling the proc and getting the required data. In MSSQL it happens so
> fast I cannot even measure the time in milli-seconds.

I don't get it. Are you saying that you tokenize and sort INSIDE the procedure or that MSSQL does that for you automagically or that you do the tokenize/sort BEFORE you call the procedure?

 > It sounds like
> global temporary tables may actually do what I need and provide the
> transactional throughput required. There is no real threat of this
> object writing to disk in the scenario I have depicted here.

I think if you used what tom wrote (albeit with slight modifications) you'd be pleasantly surprised by the results. And yes, you can use order by when selecting from an in-memory table. The CREATE TYPE things are done once only at setup time, not every time you need to use the in-memory table.

--
Cheers
Nuno Souto