Re: Question on the date after '31-DEC-9999' in Oracle

From: HansF <News.Hans_at_telus.net>
Date: Tue, 24 May 2005 14:28:15 GMT

On Tue, 24 May 2005 07:16:56 -0700, Mike asked a question instead of looking up the answer in the docco:

Hey Mike ...

questions like this are found in the 55,000 pages of docco Oracle supplies. (Of course, I don't know why Oracle bothers with the docco, as hardly anyone bothers to read it <g>)

Specific answer is from Chapter 1 of the Oracle9i SQL Reference manual, which defines a DATE datatype as follows:

12	DATE	Valid date range from January 1, 4712 BC
		to December 31, 9999 AD.

Perhaps that is why your question "Dec 31, 9999 +1" acts the way it does?

BTW: All native data types are defined, with their limits, in the 'SQL Reference' manual. All RDBMS limits imposed in Oracle are defined in the 'Reference' manual (as compared to the SQL Reference manual) and these, as well as other docs are found at http://docs.oracle.com

--
Hans Forbrich
mailto: Fuzzy.GreyBeard_at_gmail.com