Re: MSSQL Table Variable Equivalent?

From: LineVoltageHalogen <tropicalfruitdrops_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 24 May 2005 06:24:05 -0700

Thanks Thomas, your input is valuable. Let me explain further what I am trying to do and maybe it will be clearer that creating structures as you suggest above is not feasible. Basically I am trying to mimic an array sort using table variables in SQL. In my system when a stored procedure is called by a user (calling app) 1-N arguments are passed as a delimited string (|XXX|YY|ZZZZZ|ABC|). I need to tokenize the string and then sort the arguments alphabetically. Once this sorting is done (it happens instantaneously) the procedure is executed and the table variable is discarded. This happens very fast and the string that needs to be tokenized never produces more than 20 tokens (300 characters at most in the string as a whole). This process has to happen and it cannot add any significant overhead to the process of calling the proc and getting the required data. In MSSQL it happens so fast I cannot even measure the time in milli-seconds. It sounds like global temporary tables may actually do what I need and provide the transactional throughput required. There is no real threat of this object writing to disk in the scenario I have depicted here. Received on Tue May 24 2005 - 08:24:05 CDT