Re: MSSQL Table Variable Equivalent?

From: David Portas <REMOVE_BEFORE_REPLYING_dportas_at_acm.org>
Date: 24 May 2005 05:01:50 -0700

LineVoltageHalogen wrote:
> Greetings All, I was hoping that someone might be to help me out. I
> was wondering if Oracle has a table data type like SQL server. This
is
> just a variable that lives completely in memory and has many of the
> characteristics of a table. I need to be able to store a list of
> values in a table like format in memory. I say memory because each
> session logging into the server will have to perform this operation
and
> I need it to be as fast as possible. I am aware of global temp
tables
> and that they reside in the temp tablespace. However, the data in
the
> temp table is written to the buffer cache which leads me to believe
> that there is a possibility that it could be written to disk too.
This
> would be a huge drain on performance. So, I would appreciate any
> feedback.

> TFD
Just have to jump in to point out that table variables in SQL Server do NOT live completely in memory. They are a form of temporary table with local scope and they may or may not be written to disk. In SQL Server (as Thomas Kyte indicated for Oracle too) you can generally leave the server to manage the cache itself.

--
David Portas
SQL Server MVP