Re: Can RedHat ASE 2.1 primary Oracle DB have SUSE physical standby?

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Tue, 24 May 2005 06:44:23 +0200

On Mon, 23 May 2005 18:09:00 -0700, John Bailo <jabailo_at_texeme.com> wrote:

>The OS will have nothing to do with it. You could do this between
>Solaris and SCO Unix if you wanted to.
>
>The database server will have everything to do with it. If you're using
>a replication program that's part of the DBMS ( I guess Oracle in this
>situation ) it should work by connecting the databases using IP
>address...the two database servers will "talk" to each other using
>whatever protocol your DMBS vendor uses for replication.
>
>Capisce?

Regrettably, this is fully incorrect.
Standby <> Replication, so OS *does* matter, at least until 9i. Standby means : the primary database ships online redo logs file to the standby server. No individual transactions are being shipped. This means both O/Ses have to be identical.

--
Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA