Re: MSSQL Table Variable Equivalent?

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_psoug.org>
Date: Mon, 23 May 2005 19:13:27 -0700

LineVoltageHalogen wrote:
> Greetings All, I was hoping that someone might be to help me out. I
> was wondering if Oracle has a table data type like SQL server. This is
> just a variable that lives completely in memory and has many of the
> characteristics of a table. I need to be able to store a list of
> values in a table like format in memory. I say memory because each
> session logging into the server will have to perform this operation and
> I need it to be as fast as possible. I am aware of global temp tables
> and that they reside in the temp tablespace. However, the data in the
> temp table is written to the buffer cache which leads me to believe
> that there is a possibility that it could be written to disk too. This
> would be a huge drain on performance. So, I would appreciate any
> feedback.
>
> TFD
Many.

But before you do something stupid by trying to kludge some SQL Server technique into Oracle look up global temporary tables. Likely you have no need in Oracle to do what you are desiring to do.

http://www.psoug.org
click on Morgan's Library
click on Tables

And do yourself a favour ... get a copy of Tom Kyte's "Expert one-on-one Oracle." It is one of the few books that is worth far more than its price.

Oh Jonathan ... Where's that book you were working on?

--
Daniel A. Morgan
http://www.psoug.org