Redo size vs. archived logs size

From: Dusan Bolek <spambin_at_seznam.cz>
Date: 23 May 2005 01:14:48 -0700

Hello,

during weekend I have been doing stress testing of an archived logs destination on one of our systems here. I have done this by writing a PL/SQL package that basically inserts as many rows as specified, updated them one by one and deletes them. It also measures time elapsed and redo size generated taken from v$mystat. Before and after of each run I did Statspack's snaps to know what happened between. There was no other significant activity on this system at that time. During a test output analyse phase I realised that the amount of archived logs generated is about ten times bigger than amount of redo size generated taken either from v$mystat or statspack report. Can anyone explain this behaviour? My expectation was that the archived logs size should be about the same size as redo generated plus some overhead. I do not understand why there is such a huge difference. Oracle 9.2.0.6, AIX 5.2 64bit, two node RAC with crossarchivation (but activity only on "my" node).

--
Dusan Bolek