Re: RAC on Mac News

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_psoug.org>
Date: Sun, 22 May 2005 07:40:43 -0700

Serge Rielau wrote:
> DA Morgan wrote:
>

>> What's proprietary about OSX/Darwin?
>>
>> What OS is at its foundation? BSD!
>> What is the current status of Darwin? Open Source!
>> What is proprietary in OSX? Aqua which is just the GUI.

> Interesting, I didn't know that.
>

>> When was the last time, in making a decision about a *NIX server
>> operating system, did anyone care about the GUI? BASH is BASH,
>> Korn is Korn, vi is vi etc. Open a terminal window and it is *NIX.
>> And that is where any Oracle DBA will be doing 99% of their work.

> But that still doesn't eman that a given app is as well tested on this
> platform as on others.
> Time will tell I s'pose what will happen there.
> I'll keep my chips placed on Linux for the mainstreams...
>
> Cheers
> Serge

I agree. But since you are with IBM you know well what is required to get a company the size of Oracle to make a decision to port to a new platform. The decision to support OSX/Darwin had to have come from the very top of Oracle and the budget cost had to be very substantial. Thus the corporate committment is also substantial. So there is little doubt a lot of effort went into the port and the testing.

 From what I have seen this is the here case too. I have yet to find a single Oracle on Mac bug other than two in SQL*Plus that are easily avoided and could never happen in a production database. I understand both will fixed in 10gR2.

But yes Serge you should stick with Linux ... after all ... you have no other choice. ;-)

--
Daniel A. Morgan
http://www.psoug.org