Re: RAC on Mac News

From: Frank van Bortel <frank.van.bortel_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 22 May 2005 10:50:06 +0200

DA Morgan wrote:

> What's proprietary about OSX/Darwin?
>
> What OS is at its foundation? BSD!
> What is the current status of Darwin? Open Source!
> What is proprietary in OSX? Aqua which is just the GUI.
>
> When was the last time, in making a decision about a *NIX server
> operating system, did anyone care about the GUI? BASH is BASH,
> Korn is Korn, vi is vi etc. Open a terminal window and it is *NIX.
> And that is where any Oracle DBA will be doing 99% of their work.

But... it's an Apple! <gasp!>

I am glad you have the scientific look and perspective to simply go for the most bang for the buck; as Mattias already pointed out - it's politics most of the time.

(Shamed:) At my employer, the internal data center is moving away from Linux towards M$ Windows, "because they cannot support Linux as well as Windows - [Linux] is too complex". The fact that "they" cannot support Windows either (because that is not simple, either!), is missed completely. (/shamed)

Now, Apple is not really known for it's stability -as a manufacturer, that is-, nor for it's benchmarks -or history- in the server market.

"If it ain't blue, we're not ganna' buy it" was something you got away with for years, right?
From an academic standpoint, I'd go your way. From a business perspective, I'd doubt. No I wouldn't - I'd go Linux.

PS: I know colleagues are monitoring this ng :) Maybe they learn Linux, or Windows the proper way.

--
Regards,
Frank van Bortel