Re: RAC on Mac News

From: Serge Rielau <srielau_at_ca.ibm.com>
Date: Sat, 21 May 2005 20:12:13 -0400

DA Morgan wrote:
> It is the three S's that are most important to me because if you don't
> have that everything else is irrelevant. Thus:
> http://www.apple.com/macosx/features/security
Yep.. exactly what I want for my laptop(!)
> http://www.apple.com/education/whyapple/technology.html
> http://www.apple.com/server/macosx/features/opendirectory.html
Nice marketing slides

> There is a reason why Oracle is buy this hardware for its own
> data centers: It works.

I thought Oracle is all Linux now... or was that only the last 3 years?
> The IBM P5 is an IBM P5 no matter whose
> hardware it is in.

True :-)
>And UNIX is UNIX is UNIX whether you call it
> AIX or Solaris or OSX/Darwin. If you can drive a Chevy you can
> drive a Ford. Same thing here .... All I am doing is making sure
> that people realize there is one more entre' on the menu.
While the rest of the gang is either open sourcing there Unix OS (like Sun) or otherwise moving to Linux (like IBM) or goes begging in BLOGs for application support (HP).
The OS is turning into a commodity. I question the wisdom of Apple in pushing another proprietary Unix flavor. Application and middleware vendors will need some convincing to make this a success. That's where the car metaphore breaks down.

Cheers
Serge

--
Serge Rielau