Re: RAC on Mac News

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_psoug.org>
Date: Sat, 21 May 2005 16:55:10 -0700

Matthias Hoys wrote:

>>Making the community aware that there is right now a better value
>>proposition is not compromising independence. In fact it is
>>demonstrating it. The compromise would be to stick with Sun or Dell
>>when the facts clearly indicate they are not the best choice.

> Or stick to Oracle 8i on IBM AIX and EMC Symmetrix, like where i'm currently
> working. They're both hard to configure and very expensive and bound to
> specific hardware. But yes, it's a management decision ... and money isn't a
> limiting factor ...

Hopefully it never is.

The value proposition has to include everything beginning with the Three S's:

* Security
* Stability
* Scalability

but also:

* Performance
* Maintainability
* Cost

It is the three S's that are most important to me because if you don't have that everything else is irrelevant. Thus:

http://www.apple.com/macosx/features/security
http://www.apple.com/education/whyapple/technology.html
http://www.apple.com/server/macosx/features/opendirectory.html

There is a reason why Oracle is buy this hardware for its own data centers: It works. The IBM P5 is an IBM P5 no matter whose hardware it is in. And UNIX is UNIX is UNIX whether you call it AIX or Solaris or OSX/Darwin. If you can drive a Chevy you can drive a Ford. Same thing here .... All I am doing is making sure that people realize there is one more entre' on the menu.

--
Daniel A. Morgan
http://www.psoug.org