Re: RAC on Mac News

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_psoug.org>
Date: Sat, 21 May 2005 15:01:49 -0700

Frank van Bortel wrote:

> Matthias Hoys wrote:
>

>>"Frank van Bortel" <frank.van.bortel_at_gmail.com> wrote in message

>>>google's your friend: about 170,000 of 'em
>>>
>>>--
>>>Regards,
>>>Frank van Bortel
>>

>>This one returns "only" 37,800 hits :
>>http://www.google.com/search?q=benchmark+intel+amd+powerpc+server
>>
>>Still it's hard to find a truely independent comparison between the 3
>>processor types, and with recent server hardware.
>>That's why I asked.
>>

> Hearing Daniel lately, I doubt he's truly independent. :)

Not independent as in an employee? I am not. Not independent as in under contract? I am not. Not independent as in when a better hardware shows up I will go with it? You betcha. But that isn't today.

When Linux was a better decision for Oracle than Solaris I advocated Linux. It isn't any more. It has grown too expensive and doesn't come close to the available performance so it delivers less value.

In this business you have got to be prepared for the fact that warm-and-fuzzy only lasts 3-5 years. And if someone doesn't keep up they fall by the wayside. I've left behind Fortran, COBOL, DB2, and numerous other technologies because they weren't where it was happening. Why should I feel differently about hardware?

I would suggest that you read the following: http://www.oracle.com/technology/deploy/availability/htdocs/lowcoststorage.html

This is Oracle's direction. It is not compromising one's independence to act on it. It is this direction that has taken me, over the years, from EMC to NetApp and now to Apple and who knows where it will take me in the future: I don't.

Making the community aware that there is right now a better value proposition is not compromising independence. In fact it is demonstrating it. The compromise would be to stick with Sun or Dell when the facts clearly indicate they are not the best choice.

--
Daniel A. Morgan
http://www.psoug.org