Re: RAID

From: Chuck <skilover_nospam_at_softhome.net>
Date: Fri, 20 May 2005 14:13:04 -0400

vissuyk_at_yahoo.com wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I have got RAID10 disks and my system is IO bound. I thought that RAID
> would take away all striping problems, but that is not necessarily the
> case, why am I having IO issues despite the RAID hw? WIll ASM help
>
> Thanks for any advice.
>
> Vissu

Without knowing your actual RAID configuration it's hard to determine the problem. Here are some questions to consider though.

How many disks in the stripe set? The more disks, the less chance of head contention.

Have you reached the capacity of your controller?

Is this a SAN configuration? If so, what other applications (possibly on other unrelated servers) are sharing the physical disks. Do *NOT* believe what SAN vendors say about their caches eliminating contention.  I have personally seen situations where physical disk contention with another has caused a database's average i/o time to go from milliseconds to more than 2 seconds!

--
To reply by email remove "_nospam"