Re: Defining Obsolete Backups in RMAN

From: Holger Baer <holger.baer_at_science-computing.de>
Date: Fri, 20 May 2005 16:50:37 +0200

amerar_at_iwc.net wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> Question:
>
> Say I have 3 weeks of backup, and I want to get rid of everything but
> one week. Will this REPORT command give me a list of everything I can
> delete:
>
> REPORT OBSOLETE UNTIL TIME 'SYSDATE-7';
>
> Basically, anything outside the time window will be considered
> obsolete. And, does this include backups, archive logs, and control
> file copies?
>
> We have to implement this and do not have 3 weeks to wait to test this
> out.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Arthur

I've always understood that report obsolete gives you the list of backup pieces, archived logs and what not that rman is going to delete when issuing delete obsolete. Now why you want to delete this some other way is beyond me, but you must have your reasons. And yes, rman will delete backups, archived logs, controlfile copies as long as it is aware of them.

And you don't have to wait for 3 weeks, as soon as anything obsolete pops out you'll see. And since you have to test before implementing anyway, you can do so with a smaller retention window.

HTH
Holger Received on Fri May 20 2005 - 09:50:37 CDT