Re: Oracle vs DB2 on heavy OLTP loads

From: rkusenet <usenet.rk_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 19 May 2005 21:11:05 -0400

"Mark Townsend" <markbtownsend_at_comcast.net> wrote in message news:428D319D.1000702_at_comcast.net...
> rkusenet wrote:
>

> > You can remove VISA from this list. I asked a friend of mine who works
> > there and they use DB2 for its *most* intense OLTP application.
> >

> I think you will find that that's DB2 on the Mainframe, not DB2 LUWser

Yes I agree. Even though I don't know the platform, I am assuming that most likely it will be DB2 on the mainframe. Anyhow my point of posting was to the point that Visa is not using oracle for its most critical application. Oracle marketing is well known for this kind of half-truths. Remember that ad which use to come "YAHOO uses Oracle". Yeah for what? For accounting and other back office applications. Yet the way the ad was presented it was as if www.yahoo.com site was dependent on Oracle. heck, I bet their finance site has higher transactions than other dept. Guess which DB they use for their finance site.

rk- Received on Thu May 19 2005 - 20:11:05 CDT