Re: Oracle vs DB2 on heavy OLTP loads

From: Joel Garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: 19 May 2005 16:24:36 -0700

Serge Rielau wrote:
> dbguy456_at_yahoo.com wrote:
> >>cause of database instability is incompetent SysAdmins and DBAs
> >
> > That's what support wants us to think. I have quite different point
of
> > view though - no incompetence on the side of SysAdmin/DBA should be
an
> > excuse for DB instance crash, period. Poor performance? Sure.
> > Invalid results? Could be.
> Don't agree. Wrong results are even worse than a crash. At least a
crash
> can't be missed.

Agree that wrong results are even worse than a crash.

Don't agree that a crash can't be missed. Have seen several cases where either the db was isolated from the app (ie, blame the Net), or crash happened off-hours and was auto-fixed (ie, power outage runs out ups or crash happened before normal auto-restart), and no one bothered to check. (Except me, of course, but I don't count, since I come into the picture much later and find these sorts of things as I poke around.) Also seen non-IS people given keys to kingdom, who restart crashed db and don't tell anyone (or crash and start for silly reasons).

jg

--
@home.com is bogus.
See you at Oracle Conclave 2006!