Re: Top SQL question

From: Chuck <skilover_nospam_at_softhome.net>
Date: Thu, 19 May 2005 09:57:40 -0400

DA Morgan wrote:

> Noons wrote:

>> and is

>> (as

>> releases

>>> Then I have no explanation for you other than the possibility that
>>

>> they
>>
>>> are using different data dictionary objects from which to formulate
>>> their answer ... and one of them, hopefully not both of them, is
>>

>> wrong.
>>
>> Check out the "plan_table" versions each uses. They need to be up to
>> date for each of the products. And if any of them uses the Oracle
>> default one, then that has to match the version in use. And darn it,
>> they DO change from version to version!
>

> Which is precisely why Oracle created the DBMS_XPLAN built-in package.
> Don't use that package and your chances of getting the correct result
> decrease dramatically.
>
> Also note for the record that building the plan table with UTLXPLAN.SQL
> is no longer best practice. Instead run CATPLAN.SQL. Stand still very
> long and Oracle will pass you by.

Aren't they both 10g features? I'm on 9i (see OP). All I can figure is that somewhere the application is issuing an alter session and changing something that affects the execution plan. Is there a view I can query to see the parameters in effect for a particular session other than my own?

TIA

--
To reply by email remove "_nospam"