Re: Oracle vs DB2 on heavy OLTP loads

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_psoug.org>
Date: Wed, 18 May 2005 21:58:13 -0700

Serge Rielau wrote:

> Playing the blame game with a customer, happy or not, is always a bad idea.
>
> Cheers
> Serge

If I were a former or current Oracle employee. Or had ever personally accepted a single dollar from Oracle I would agree. As that is not the case I am still covered by the immunity clause and can say whatever I wish until the government takes away the First Amendment (and lets not go there ... ok?). If ever my situation changes I will publicly announce it and start behaving myself accordingly. Right now I can openly say that that vast majority of DBAs in any major RDBMS are technically incapable of plying their trade.

Which is not a fault/blame game: Just a fact. The number of companies willing to step up to the plate and keep their people trained is minimal. The number of trainers that can do more than read PowerPoint slides ... I'll let you draw your own conclusion.

But truly I think DBAs need to take more responsibility for themselves and their profession just as did other professionals in the previous century. Until they (we) are willing to self-police it will not change.

--
Daniel A. Morgan
http://www.psoug.org