Re: Oracle vs DB2 on heavy OLTP loads

From: Noons <wizofoz2k_at_yahoo.com.au>
Date: 18 May 2005 17:52:05 -0700

Serge Rielau wrote:
> It's noted that O10gR2 requires "guts" and I'm sure Mark T. can give
you
> the current level of penetration of O10g.

Ahem. It wasn't noted at all. And Mark would have extreme difficulty in providing any penetration stories for 10gr2: it ain't out yet.

What was noted was that 10g+RAC -or 9ir2+RAC and Linux would require guts to go for a critical OLTP system: you'd probably want to get Oracle professional services involved, or a very close first line support number. Not because it's unworkable but because there are quite a few gotchas and not all of them are clearly documented. Particularly for someone changing database software as well as hardware.

> DB2 V8.2 matches O10gR2 (latest drop).

Doubt it, given that 10gr2 hasn't been released yet! Although I'm quite sure some marketroid at IBM will have the authoritative "advantages" white-paper ready for the release date... :D

> DB2 for LUW has grown a lot with V8. As part of this IBM needs to
grow
> up its delivery strategy and I'm confident they will. After all DB2
V7
> for zOS is supported and will be for a long time. No magic trick to
it.

<jab>
Same code bases for all, I'm sure. Wonder what that does for stability...
</jab>

Seriously: you'd have noted as well I did my best to dissuade the punter from moving. It sounds like too critical a system for major continental drifts and I'm sure your folks will fix the problems at some stage soon. Of course Mark or one of his Bondi tourists will be all over him - but that's their job. Received on Wed May 18 2005 - 19:52:05 CDT