Re: smf config for oracle?

From: David Powell <david.powell_at_sun.com>
Date: Wed, 18 May 2005 13:40:26 -0700

   Serge,

Serge Lisin wrote:
> I wrote xml-definition for Oracle service under SMF.
> But i suspect that it's almost unusable in production environment
> because SMF watch ALL processes started in one contract
> and if ONE fails ( or ends ), SMF will restart whole service.
> And, if Oracle admin restart some of not very important
> processes ( ARCH,JOb processes ) whole instance will fail.

   The startd/ignore_error property (see svc.startd(1M)) lets you tell    startd to ignore core and/or signal events in a service.

   Sendmail is another application with such a constraint: you don't    want a user to be able to restart sendmail by sending a signal to    something running out of their .forward or by running broken programs    out of their .forward. So in
   /var/svc/manifest/network/smtp-sendmail.xml we do the following:

         <property_group name='startd' type='framework'>
                 <propval name='ignore_error' type='astring'
                     value='core,signal' />
         </property_group>

   You lose most of your restart benefits (sendmail will still restart    if its contract empties out), but you retain the ease of    administration that SMF offers.

   You'll might want to do something similar in your Oracle manifest.

   Dave Received on Wed May 18 2005 - 15:40:26 CDT