Re: ORA-12170 Connect Timeout

From: Frank van Bortel <frank.van.bortel_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 18 May 2005 19:46:42 +0200

Zahi Savion wrote:
> Hi Frank
>
> Here is the TNSPING to ora10g:
>

> Used TNSNAMES adapter to resolve the alias
> Attempting to contact (DESCRIPTION = (ADDRESS_LIST = (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL =
> TCP)
> (HOST = zOra10g)(PORT = 1521))) (CONNECT_DATA = (SERVICE_NAME = orcl)))
> OK (120 msec)
>

> Attached: sqlnet.log

Please do not top post.

> "Frank van Bortel" <frank.van.bortel_at_gmail.com> wrote in message
>

>>Basic tns troubleshooting:
>>1) When connected to your ADSL, can your ping zOra10g?
>> - If not - make sure you either add the domain, or
>>            spell out the ip-address of zOra10g in
>>            your hosts file (in C:\WINNT\system32\drivers\etc)
>>
>>2) Assuming you can ping zOra10g, can you: tnsping orcl ?

Odd - you have no ora10g in your tnsnames.ora file, just orcl. That is why I asked can you tnsping orcl.

>>3) Assuming you can also tnsping orcl, can you turn on
>>network tracing? Add: trace_level_client=support
>>to you sqlnet.ora, delete the sqlnet.log, and retry to connect.
>>Directly after the attempt, modify to trace_level_client=none,
>>and save the sqlnet.ora file
>>Then, post the new sqlnet.trc file.

And it seems as if you sent the wrong file; I wanted sqlnet.trc, not sqlnet.log

Please double check the configuration: do you have any other network configuration files lying around somewhere? On Windows, with multiple home installations, you are bound to have more. The sequence of entries in your path environment variable dictates which one is actually used, unless you have an override (you have tns_admin pointing to a directory)

--
Regards,
Frank van Bortel