Re: Oracle vs DB2 on heavy OLTP loads

From: HansF <News.Hans_at_telus.net>
Date: Wed, 18 May 2005 14:33:12 GMT

On Wed, 18 May 2005 06:52:08 -0700, dbguy456 interested us by writing:

>> But it's all experience and perspective ...

> Exactly. From my experience, hardware crashes (except for problems
> related to moving parts like HDDs) are extremely rare (and a few
> additional orders of magnitude less rare if we won't count drivers as
> part of the hardware), and as you probably noticed, my experience with
> DB software wasn't that good.

And my experience - ranging back to early days of SMP and the SMP-MPP battles, to more recent, indicates that the hardware and related software workarounds to SMP with anything more than 2 CPU is questionable.

On that note, I drop the thread as it has become purely religious - you don't want to look at something I know works because you have little faith, and I don't like what you want because I have little faith.

--
Hans Forbrich
mailto: Fuzzy.GreyBeard_at_gmail.com