Re: Oracle vs DB2 on heavy OLTP loads

From: HansF <News.Hans_at_telus.net>
Date: Wed, 18 May 2005 00:18:28 GMT

On Tue, 17 May 2005 16:45:35 -0700, dbguy456 interested us by writing:

> In general, IBM solution is going to be 2-3 times more expensive than
> equivalent HP one, but could be worth it.

Though you aren't interested, just want to point out that this is EXACTLY the thought process that Oracle RAC was created to handle.

ie: Why go for multi-CPU machines? Or at least the expensive ones with more than 2 CPU?

Instead, get the same number of CPU across easily swapped boxes. And add boxes as load requires, when load requires, instead of getting a big backplane up front. And each box has access to ALL the data, as compared to a typical federated / partitioned environment.

(And I'd seriously look at NetApp to handle the shared storage.)

--
Hans Forbrich
mailto: Fuzzy.GreyBeard_at_gmail.com