Re: Oracle vs DB2 on heavy OLTP loads

From: Noons <wizofoz2k_at_yahoo.com.au>
Date: 17 May 2005 16:18:45 -0700

dbguy..._at_yahoo.com wrote:

> Sure it does, thanks. But Oracle 8 doesn't really qualify as a 100%
> relevant experience (as I've already told, DB2 v7 was rock-solid, but
> v8 is quite unstable, to be polite - and how can I be sure it's not
the
> case with Oracle 8 / 10g? ).

You can't be sure. Other than ask online and/or pour through Metaclick,
like I suggested. And the answer has been given already: 9ir2 is stable. 10g dunno, but Mark Townsend will have my doolies for saying so.

And Daniel will tell you that all is roses in 10g-land. <g,d&r>

> > I'm quite sure IBM would be able to fix your instability problems
> given time and resources.
> First of all, it's not 'our' instability problems, it's 'their'
> instability problems. :-)

You got a good point there! ;)

> It is already FP9, and it is still unstable as hell. Things are
getting
> better, but at this rate we're risking to wait for sufficient
stability
> for v8 until v9 will be released and v8 will be out of support :-(.

Nice... Just what you need, eh?

> Ok, and what would YOU recommend for this kind of load for Oracle
> (note: I don't think SPARC is a good choice for us due to lower
per-CPU
> power than competition - and per-CPU is essential for us, but all
other
> options are open; price is not that important either).

I don't think SPARC is a good choice for ANYONE! But don't quote me on that...

At the risk of ruffling the feathers of many here:

Disk-wise? EMC or equivalent SAN/NAS. The sky is the limit there, how deep is your pocket? Look at Veritas' file system as well, it's sometimes very surprising.

And that's about it, I'm afraid. Fujitsu/Siemens might have something as well but I've lost track of their h/w and they don't talk much online so it's hard to figure out what's going on.

As is I'll probably get crucified for excluding SPARC but that's the lay of the land: Sun can't spend their time dumping on Oracle and expect dbas to support them indefinitely. Fact is: their hardware is crap. And software is not that far behind. Received on Tue May 17 2005 - 18:18:45 CDT