Re: Oracle vs DB2 on heavy OLTP loads

From: <dbguy456_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 17 May 2005 14:56:42 -0700

> Dunno what you call heavily loaded, but does 5000 users with
30Mrow/day classify?
Sure it does, thanks. But Oracle 8 doesn't really qualify as a 100% relevant experience (as I've already told, DB2 v7 was rock-solid, but v8 is quite unstable, to be polite - and how can I be sure it's not the case with Oracle 8 / 10g? ).

> I'm quite sure IBM would be able to fix your instability problems
given time and resources.
First of all, it's not 'our' instability problems, it's 'their' instability problems. :-)

> Is it worth going through all the hassles of change because of a less
than daily spike? Just asking.
It is already FP9, and it is still unstable as hell. Things are getting better, but at this rate we're risking to wait for sufficient stability for v8 until v9 will be released and v8 will be out of support :-(.

> If you decide to move, pay special attention to your IO configuration
hardware-wise.
Sure we will (and as you probably guessed, we already did pay attention to it in current configuration :-) ).

> Do your ground work in selecting the h/w and OS you're gonna run on
and life will be a lot easier.
Ok, and what would YOU recommend for this kind of load for Oracle (note: I don't think SPARC is a good choice for us due to lower per-CPU power than competition - and per-CPU is essential for us, but all other options are open; price is not that important either). Received on Tue May 17 2005 - 16:56:42 CDT