Re: Oracle 10g - flashback database questions

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_psoug.org>
Date: Mon, 16 May 2005 21:17:46 -0700

premmehrotra_at_hotmail.com wrote:

> Does any one see need for using FLAHSBACK Database in production
> environments. I do see it being useful in development environments
> where user errors could be many, but in production environment, I do
> not see much advantage considering that there is performance overhead
> in generating flash back logs.
>
> Prem

Not if the tablespaces are read only. Otherwise yes and it is over immense value.

Compare the overhead of generating a flashback log to the overhead of having an incorrect DML statement committed 14 hours after the last backup.

Maybe you are in some magical place where errors never happen. But I've only been there after flying off on holiday and leaving everything to another DBA.

--
Daniel A. Morgan
http://www.psoug.org