Re: Oracle 10g - flashback database questions

From: HansF <News.Hans_at_telus.net>
Date: Tue, 17 May 2005 03:48:31 GMT

On Mon, 16 May 2005 19:54:20 -0700, premmehrotra interested us by writing:

> Does any one see need for using FLAHSBACK Database in production
> environments. I do see it being useful in development environments
> where user errors could be many, but in production environment, I do
> not see much advantage considering that there is performance overhead
> in generating flash back logs.
>
> Prem

No use at all.

Unless, of course, the users somehow get write access to the underlying database, say through an MS Access or MS Excel front end via DAO, ODBC, etc. But we all know THAT never happens.

My favorite joke in a DBA lecture is about the "[enter name of famous female singer] user, who comes up to the DBA with a real cute and shy look and says 'ooops, I did it again. I'm going for lunch now but I just deleted all the data in that table. Could you get it back for me, pretty please".

(How did [s]he get access? Remember that email from the division head that recommended a security exception to this one trustworthy user?)

And developers NEVER get to update anything in production without thorough testing first in the development and test systems.

Nope. No use at all! Except perhaps for a few, very limited cases - such as the above, and those rare situations where a manager decides to correct things without troubling the technical staff ...

(There are some shops around here that budget for 2 time-based recoveries per week due to the rare situations I mention.)

--
Hans Forbrich
mailto: Fuzzy.GreyBeard_at_gmail.com