Re: Oracle vs DB2 on heavy OLTP loads

From: HansF <News.Hans_at_telus.net>
Date: Mon, 16 May 2005 23:25:14 GMT

On Mon, 16 May 2005 16:13:39 -0700, dbguy456 interested us by writing:

> Thanks, but...
>
> - re. "number of nifty things" - DB2 has them either, and option for
> space pre-allocation is standard for any
> database-pretending-to-be-somwhat-serious.
>
> - re. RACs - DB2 has somewhat similar thing but it is not really needed
> for any conceivable OLTP loads; in general, we're pretty sure that DB2
> and Oracle are more or less equivalent in OLTP performance department.
>
> - re. 4500 records/minute - it was just a test, and what we need is
> real-life experience. DB2 v8 will also work Ok in several-hour testing;
> it fails just once a few days or weeks which is still not good enough.
>
> Thanks anyway

I agree with your response to the 'nifty things'. Just want you to be sure that Oracle has 'em too. Some others that profess to be industry-strength do not.

The RAC is optional, but a hell of an easy way to save money by not needing to go to big SMB boxes. (Less what is required for the RAC licenses ... all my environments still save. YMMV)

DB2's clustering is NOT the same. Has other advantages and disadvantages. Equate the two only at risk of proving your lack of understanding.

The customer put it into service 24x7x265 under a MUCH higher load. Sadly I can not discuss that part as I left under NDA.

--
Hans Forbrich
mailto: Fuzzy.GreyBeard_at_gmail.com