Re: Oracle to Teradata

From: HansF <News.Hans_at_telus.net>
Date: Mon, 16 May 2005 18:23:34 GMT

On Mon, 16 May 2005 10:25:29 -0700, mikeeria interested us by writing:

> Hi,
>
> Plans are to expand an existing warehouse. Oracle will be too small
> therefore the new datawarehouse will be built on
> Teradata.

LOL. I suspect someone has more budget than brains! Such a move is usually politically or financially motivated. Find out who/how that happened and you will be able to answer the rest of this yourself.

> Is it possible to move a Oracle data warehouse snowflake model to
> Teradata which I think uses a different approach (more normalized )??
>

> In other words, is it worth to reuse the Oracle model which already
> exists and is working on the Teradata database
>
> or
>
> Forget all what was created before with Oracle and restart with
> Teradata's models and methodology ? and recreate all ETL, reports
> etc...
>
> I will appreciate any information on this subject

If there is a feeling that Oracle can't handle the load, then your model (or at least the implementation of that model) is probably wrong already. Scrap the model, design it properly, then scrap the turkey who suggested that you need to convert to Teradata.

--
Hans Forbrich
mailto: Fuzzy.GreyBeard_at_gmail.com