Direct I/O

From: <ora_lrnr_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 16 May 2005 10:26:34 -0700

A question on direct I/O: Does direct IO mean bypassing the Unix buffer cache and going to DB cache directly while IO or does it mean bypassing DB cache and writing/reading from PGA to/from disk?

When using filesystems in Unix boxes is the cache for file systems always allocated? What happens if it turned off. What if we allocate more space for FS caching with Oracle? Since oracle does caching anyways in DB cache, is it ok to keep the direct I/O on all the time? on systems running oracle applications only is it Ok to turn filesystem cache off.

Orlando. Received on Mon May 16 2005 - 12:26:34 CDT